Inpatient Care Packing List
It is our goal to provide the highest quality of care to our clients. In order to do so, we have established some guidelines for your stay. Many of these guidelines are in response to mental health laws and regulations, and all of our guidelines seek to protect the safety of our patients.
What items should I bring?
We suggest that clients bring the following:
- Jeans, slacks or sweatpants (3 or 4 pairs)
- T-shirts, blouses or sweatshirts (7 total)
- Sweater or sweatshirt jacket
- Pajamas or nightgown, bathrobe if necessary
- Comfortable shoes (2 pairs – 1 should be tennis or running shoes)
- Shower shoes
- Underwear (7 total)
- Socks (7 total)
- Toiletries in new, sealed containers (Toothpaste, toothbrush, shampoo, soap, feminine hygiene products, brush, etc.)
- Cosmetics (optional)
- Towels (2)
- Washcloths (2)
- Seasonal clothing (warm jackets, hats, gloves and boots for winter, shorts for the summer, etc.)
- Any prescribed medications
Approved Miscellaneous Items
Clients can bring the following miscellaneous items into Daybreak’s SUD inpatient care unit:
- Notebooks (No spirals)
- Pencils (regular & colored)
- Envelopes & stamps (kept in a personal storage area)
- Jewelry (kept in a personal storage area)
- Playing cards
- Coloring books
Please be sure to bring at least $50 for a spending account for the Daybreak store. Items for purchase include additional hygiene items, MP3 players and locks.
Clients should limit the amount of items brought into the building. In Brush Prairie, clients must limit total items to 40. Clients are encouraged to dress comfortably and casually, and laundry will be done twice a week. Clothing that is expensive, extremely delicate, hard to replace or requires special cleaning should remain at home. All clothing should be marked with an indelible laundry pen to cut down on loss and misplacement. Daybreak is not responsible for lost or stolen clothing.
Many clients enjoy journaling on a regular basis. Clients can bring a half-inch binder or a non-spiral notebook when they are admitted or purchase one from Daybreak.
Daybreak cannot take responsibility for lost, traded or damaged possessions.
What items should I NOT bring?
The following items are prohibited in Daybreak’s SUD inpatient care unit:
- Alcohol or items containing alcohol as an ingredient (makeup/face wipes are the exception)
- Any drug-related paraphernalia
- Sharp objects (razors, scissors, glass bottles, mirrors, picture frames, needles, pins, aluminum cans, spiral notebooks, keys, makeup pencil sharpeners, paper clips, hair clips, underwire bras and any other item with sharp edges or which can be broken to create sharp edges)
- CD players/recorders/Mp3 players (Daybreak can provide music players on loan)
- Cameras or any video recording device
- Computers or tablets
- Cell phones
- Matches and lighters
- Magazines, books, pictures or clothing items depicting drug or alcohol use, violence, racism, gangs, sexual situations or otherwise potentially offensive material
- Crop tops
- Short shorts
- Hair combs (brushes are okay)
- Non-prescribed medications
- Glass or mirrors of any kind (including in makeup compacts)
- Weapons of any kind
- Aerosol products, mousse, nail polishes and nail polish removers
- Food, including candy (Daybreak will provide meals)
- Personal pens and permanent markers (Unless approved by a client’s Primary Counselor)
- Lipstick, ChapStick, lip gloss & other twistable cosmetics
- Perfume, body spray & cologne
- Pillows and blankets
- Stuffed animals
- Tobacco of any kind (cigarettes, chew, etc.)
If a patient or visitor brings in a prohibited item, it will be kept and stored until discharge. Other items not on this list may be deemed inappropriate or dangerous by the clinical staff. If you have any questions, give us a call at 1-888-454-5506.